January 18, 2007

The "new"town

I was quite "gobsmacked" (for want of finding another word) when I did a search on google only to find that Nr. 37 Quinn street, Newtown is being developed into an apartment block with penthouses, and you get Tax relief for buying in the inner city now.

There is a great web page that gives you all the details you can find it by clicking onto the title of this post or just click here: http://www.thenewtown.co.za/default.asp?p=history - I love the heading "the newtown (an urban lifestyle)".
Here is a bit from the web page: Newtown, Johannesburg’s “cultural Precinct”, is about to get a funky new up-market residential component. The once-glorious “Premier Milling Head Office” is being converted into apartments – to be knows as “the newtown”.

The newtown will consist of 30 chic urban apartments and 7 breath-taking penthouses, with each apartment having sweeping views of Jo’burg’s skyline.

I was trying to find something to put on the blog seeing as I have had no input from anyone, I thought I might find something interesting.
Age and babies are a terrible thing though, I tried to remember the names of all the pubs we used to frequent in the area and my mind is a blank, now I know it is almost 12 years since I last worked in Newtown, but hey I thought my memory was better - but obviously not.
So if someone would email me the names of all the pubs I would be very greatful.
Till Later
Rose
Remember "hot chip rolls" from akalwayas (spelling) and samoosas from the plaza?

3 comments:

Pete Mathias said...

Rosie I cannot believe you have forgot the Yard of Ale

Dave Jones said...

What about the bar that was at the Market Theatre? Forgotten the name. And I know this is not a pub, but remember the pizza place in Brixton? There was the little hole-in-the-wall and the bigger place across the road. Andre must have been the only person who ever finished their Mexican pizza topped off with a fried egg!

Dave Jones said...

Akalwayas (or however you spell it!) was a great place for spicy chips, sorry 'slap chips', or should I go American and refer to them as fries?
Either way they were good and spicy, plus they did the fried polony and chip sandwich. Invariably gave me heartburn but it was worth it and a great hangover cure too!

Heaven ...

  I was shocked, confused, bewildered As I entered Heaven's door, Not by the beauty of it all, Nor the lights or its décor. ......